Sunday, June 3, 2012

Summer is here...

I love the things that summer brings...lots of outside play, water and water toys, friends, less structure and summer fairs...and this weekend reminded us that summer, in deed, is officially here...

...we started by meeting our friends at Grant's Farm...an Anheuser Busch theme park that has animals, history and the freshest beer anywhere...and these aren't just any friends...these are friends that Chase and Gramma met at one of their first gym sessions at the little gym when Chase was just four months old...and he has had eyes for Gianna since their first meeting...and since then us Momma's have gotten to know each other quite well and also added another baby within two months of each other...and this picture is what most of our play dates look like...lots of smiles and blur...
...and sweet Gianna keeps Chase in line...

...'feed the goats from this side of the fence, Shase!'...

...The llamas were hungry...
...and so were the Momma's...
...another Fun Friday with the Regina's...

...Kirk and I have loved Ballwin Days, our local summer fair, for years and remember both fun times without kids and bringing Chase as a baby...so when we were out to run errands after a yummy Friday night dinner and realized it was the beginning of Ballwin Days, everyone was excited...luckily we were driving in the truck that already had a double stroller and blanket in the back...SCORE...
 


 

...even Ava had fun on the blanket...the band is one of our favorites...
...and with a night like this...it made Mommy and Daddy planning another trip when we had more time to spend at the fair..
...but Saturday morning brought chores and we rode in an awesome new cart at Walmart...any Momma with two knows that grocery shopping with both of them in the cart leaves little room for any groceries...until I discovered this...oh, and Walmart has free cupcakes...which makes quite an impression on a certain someone in my house...
 
...and I had to include this photo because as I looked into the living room while I was putting away groceries I hear in a little Chase voice, 'Here Marwey, when you wear this CD on your head, you look like a real cowboy!'
...it's the little things that happen during the day...

...and then it was time to hit the fair, truly prepared and hungry so we could enjoy every single aspect Ballwin Days has to offer...and if you think that taking your whole family up in a Ferris Wheel is a smart move...think twice...we jumped a little too quick at this one...the kids enjoyed it but Mommy and Daddy were ready to get out...something about the loose bolts at the top and the lady sleeping in the front of the semi attached to the ride...but it's all part of the carnival experience... 

 ...and speaking of smart moves...two year olds and darts??...this woman was quite a salesperson because she convinced us Chase could do it and then instructed him until he burst three balloons and WON...another prize that we definitely needed...
 ..and speaking of games, Kirk and Chase played the water shooting race, and WON against fierce competition...and got to pick any animal...
...so Mommy and Ava had to give it a shot, pun intended, and won too...and I promise there was competition...at least a few...
...and all that winning leaves little room in the stroller...
...and when we were down to our last few tickets, Chase asked to ride the big swings...we were so impressed with his confidence on the rides...and this one seemed fitting as the grand finale...so we asked if he was big enough...and when the operator told us, 'it's close but go ahead' I started worrying...but my man loved every minute of it...and begged for 'one more ride, peeeaaaaaaseeee!'

 
...and with that it was time to listen to the band while Ava had her last bottle..so we got the littlest one in PJ's while Chase danced, sang and ran in front of the band...and we packed up the crew to hit the road...but as we were paces from our car we were told the fireworks were about to start and we couldn't get through until they were over...and I have a little man who does NOT like fireworks...so we were a bit frantic...but without a choice we snuggled up as a family and watched the fireworks...without any tears...and I have to say...it was one of the best shows I have ever seen...and I don't want to jinx anything but maybe, just maybe we have broken a big fear in this house... 
 ...we had a picnic that afternoon at the Fair of corn dogs, shish kabobs and ice cream and it reminded me of the wonderful summers I enjoyed as a child doing everything outdoors and enjoying the simple pleasures of the summer in middle America...and I couldn't help but think that at that very moment that this little family of mine is all I have ever dreamed of, my happily ever after...and I think that Chase is starting to enjoy some of the same simple things that brought me such joy as a child...
 ...may you, too, be able to jump into summer wholeheartedly...

1 comment: