...Work Hard, Play Hard...
This was a motto around my house from as little as I can remember...my mom would tell me this all the time...it was her answer to most of my requests...she would quickly pull a few items off our perpetual 'things to do' lists and exchange some tasks for a reward...
...it typically sounded something like this...'Mom, can I spend the night at Mandy's house?'...'sure, why don't you finish your homework and straighten your room and then I will take you'...'you've got to work hard to play hard'...
...and as with all life lessons, it stuck with me because she didn't just say it, she lived it too...she was in sales, as I am, and would travel to meet customers, make it to all my school functions, plan girlfriend trips across the country and the globe and then still take me off more than once a year to get in a trip to the beach or to visit a new city...and did I mention, keep up a home and feed us healthy, home cooked meals on a regular basis?...
...I write this because I am sitting on an airplane typing (online! What has the world become! But by the time you read I am home...because I don't like to advertise being out of town) as I fly from Chicago where I spent a wonderful day and night celebrating a friend's last days as a single woman, to meet Kirk and Uncle Chad in Phoenix and spend two days in the sun and watch the Miami Dolphins try and bring home a victory...and earlier this week I spent two days in Minnesota where I got to know my bosses boss a little bit better and enjoy some great conversations and food...and the kiddos are getting to spend some wonderful bonding time throughout all of this with Bambi and Coley Pop back in St. Louis...so as I sit on my fourth flight in six days...I am reminded that if you work hard, you can play hard, too...
...and while this motto is exhausting, we can rest when the kids are old and gone...but now, when a 75 degree day hits and our neighbor has a football game...it is time to rush around after a work day and grab kiddos and clothes and show Chase what it is like to be a 'Marquette Mustang'...
...and it was great to see Ryan in a real game after watching Kirk throw a football with him in the front yard since he was 5 years old...he is number 84 and wearing the green socks...so now Chase must wear his green socks like Ry Ry whenever he gets the chance...
...and more playing...my new next door neighbor and I decided to throw together a last minute, get to know the neighbors block party, after the big neighborhood BBQ was cancelled...and we are fortunate to know that our new neighbors like to party the same way we do...BIG...so we put up a bounce house, smoked some meats, invited 20 or so people and closed the block...and the preparations started early...
...and the fun lasted late into the evening...
...my princess looks right at home with the Murchison boys...
...and played until way past bedtimes...
...which made for some sleepy mornings...
...but there are groceries to buy and children to be strapped in their car seats...
...this bunny is growing into a permanent staple in our house...like a well known, one eyed, Bear...
...and birthday parties to book...I'm not sure who is the most excited for October 21st...
...so we will truck on...enjoying every minute...and hopefully living out the motto...
...because I want my Children to enjoy all the small and big moments and realize that playing hard is more than OK, it is encouraged...as long as you get your work done...
love, love, love----and can't believe how big Ava is.....she's so pretty in her pink! We need to catch up. Dying to hear how the traveling has been going! xxoo
ReplyDelete