Sunday, January 5, 2014

...Winter Break...

...the last two years, Kirk and I have taken off the two weeks at the end of the year...which we had never done before...sure, it doesn't mean a total break from business...we laughed at a few days where we would switch off locking ourselves in the bedroom to have an uninterrupted 'work call'...but the reality is that we lacked daily structure, PJ's were worn late into the mornings, we ate three meals together at the table each and every day...and we bonded...like we don't do any other time of the year...
...even with this one...she spent lazy days in her new dog bed and enjoyed getting lots of rub downs with strawberry chapstick...

...but those of you that know Kirk and I know...two weeks with no plans gives us a little too much leeway...so when Kirk came to me with an idea involving two extra tickets to a Miami Dolphins game and some frequent flyer miles...I knew that break wasn't going to be all rest...

...so the boys packed up for the 'boys weekend' of a lifetime and flew down to Miami for the last game of the season...

...and my oldest is just like his father...can't sleep before a big trip and is always ready to go...even at 4am...
...as they were walking out the door a few minutes after 4am...my little chatterbox was telling me that he would be bringing home the sweet smell of victory...
...and a few hours later...they were tailgating before the game...

...and enjoying the view from the 50 yard line...
...and even though the outcome wasn't the best...moments like these were priceless for the both of them...

...and with this view and this weather from your hotel balcony on Dec. 29th...it sure wasn't a bad place to be...

...so they enjoyed the sights, the water taxi, the Dolphins restaurant...
...and my personal fav...nighttime swimming...that always meant vacation when I was growing up...
...and I've got to get my hands on the picture out there like this of Kirk...I swear I've seen this little guy before...
...and all that fun, well, it means that even if you are watching football on TV...you aren't going to last long...
...the boys soaked up an hour at the beach before the time came to jump back on the plane and head home to continue our Winter Break...
...and my grown up traveler listened to tunes and snoozed on the ride home...a far cry (literally) from the flights a few short years ago with this one...
...and a trip for the boys meant the girls had 24 hours on their hands...so we packed up too...and hit the road to spend the night with Great Grandma and Poppy...

...and while Chase was excited to go to FL...he lovingly told Ava, 'I'm going to Florida to watch football but your going to Indiana where you always get presents!'...true story, Chase, true story...
...in fact, this very outfit came from Indiana a few weeks earlier...

...so we loaded up the SUV and hit the road...she is my little companion...the one on one time is so treasured...and I count my blessings that we are able to do it...we munched on roast beef, chatted about Indiana, and sang some songs...and then we were there...
...and the presents and the yummy foods were plentiful...as was the love...
...and they got a glimpse into little Ms. Opinion's life...
...and she got some much needed new underwear and more chapstick...which she was oh so happy about...
..and she scours and packs up like I did at this age...with little baggies of cookies, fruit...and everything yummy...

...and the treats come from both sides...although Ava specifically requested that we pack up Grandma and take her with us home...

...thankfully we did pack up the snacks because we took a detour through Effingham thanks to a faulty sensor in the Yukon...and AAA and the IL State Police really came through for us in a pinch...which I was incredibly grateful for...and then we were back on our way...
...I didn't want Ava to be afraid so I told her all about how we were going to ride in a tow truck and it was exciting...she hopped in and said, 'Mommy, this is gon be soooo cool!'...
...but the drivers long winded stories finally got the best of her...and my little buddy was out...but she still jumped out of the tow truck, stopped in her tracks, looked at me and said, 'Mommy, that was soooo fun!'
 it never ceases to amaze me how the perspective of a two year old can sometimes be exactly what you need...
...then it was time to be home, and continue with Winter Break with a new challenge...potty training...Ava style!...

...and we did the same plan that we followed with Chase...no leaving the house for three days and no more diapers...accidents, underwear and chocolate...a real systematic approach...
...and Daddy was an awesome co-trainer, helping me clean, congratulate but mostly keep the humor when we had things happen like this...Seasons Greetings...

...but six days in...we are going so solid...no accidents after day two and lots of excitement about underwear...but as soon as I type that...regression will ensue...

...regardless, we celebrated...both the New Year and the new underwear...
...we spent the rest of the break completing tasks around the house...test driving cars that will hold three car seats...enjoying homemade feasts...and taking an evening for a night out after bedtime...





...and as I contemplate getting back to reality...I know that the break was good for all of us to our cores...we've laughed, bonded, played and snuggled til our hearts content...and the sleep has been a gift that we haven't had since before kiddos...we all settled into our break routine in a way we wouldn't have dreamed...

...so we will try and harness that energy, well rested-ness and jump into 2014 with our sights set high, knowing that our years are determined by our attitudes...and we have sweet smiles nestled into hearts to take into next year from the two weeks of togetherness...

...Happy 2014...

No comments:

Post a Comment