...Christmas 2013...
...the long posts are the hardest...the hardest to compile, the hardest to choose the best pictures, but mostly the hardest to try and capture the emotions contained in dozens of moments that make you smile to your core....
...I read something recently that said, 'I used to think being a kid on Christmas morning was the absolute best, now I know that being a parent on Christmas morning is actually the absolute best!'...
...and while I realize every situation is different, and the reason for the season doesn't involve presents, although the kids are still wanting to talk about why the baby Jesus would want Frankincense and Myrrh, but there is something in the Christmas Eve hustle, wrapping, and organizing that I love...and the anticipation of their little faces the next morning, the snacking on freshly decorated cookies and the conversations before turning in late for bed...
...but our Christmas vacation started this year on Friday, the 20th...Mommy and Daddy's last days in the office and Chase's date with Gramma and Papa to go see Elf at the Fox theater...
...and he has been so excited to dress up in his tie...
...and get to spend the night with Gramma and Papa...and Buddy...
...and Ava got a night out with Mommy and Daddy alone...and she soaked up the attention...the littlest of the clan has lots to say at her two and a half years....she just doesn't always get the chance when we are all together...
...so we went out to eat, look at Christmas lights...and then home for some book reading...she's loving her books right now...
...so we kept her up late and played together...but she missed bro bro and woke up asking me, 'Mommy, when are we gon get Chasey from Gramma and Papa?'
...so we spent the next few days relaxing and getting ready for the holiday...Mommy and Daddy even snuck in a date day while the little ones had a play day at school with holiday movies and snacks...and Mommy and Daddy savored a long lunch together with no interruptions, finished shopping and saw baby number three in an ultrasound...
...and then I took Ava to join me in some Christmas Eve pampering...and I must say...we are going to have some fun together...
...she loved it as much as I do...and was patient while her pink and snowflake (both her choices!) dried perfectly...
...and then before we knew it...it was time for Christmas Eve Service...and our church puts on a Children and Family Service that concluded this year with glow sticks to wave to Silent Night...which is much safer than candles for toddlers...
...and then we came home to a newly created tradition, Gourmet Pasta and some cookie decorating for Santa...and we did a little hanging out while waiting for the pasta...
...and these two helped decorate cakes before we got to the cookies...
...and then it was time to open one present from Gramma and Papa...I always opened all my gifts on Christmas Eve night...and Gramma and Papa wanted to give the kiddos each one gift to open...
...Chase wasn't as thrilled as Ava and Mar...or maybe that's just the way I captured this one...
...and then Daddy read them a story of 'Twas the night before Christmas' and off to bed they went...
...and this one hopped into her gift well before she was supposed to see it...but it was a little hard to hide...she loves to have her picture taken...and we were all laughing as the 'dog-arrazi' snapped pictures of her in her new bed as she shifted from side to side at our requests...only Marley...
...literally every angle...and her and Papa couldn't take all the Christmas Eve festivities...
...and then all was set...

...in various locations around the house...and Christmas morning came bright and early...
...before anyone has time for any coffee...let alone a hair brush or makeup...
...and the gift opening was fast and furious this year, both Chase and Ava were quick to hand out a gift, quick to open and quick to move on to the next thing...they magically both picked out the gifts they wanted from Santa first, Ava with her doggie and Chase with his battleship...
...and mid opening, they both had to take a rest...Ava first...
...and Chase much later in the day...
...but Marley's bed was the resting spot of choice...and then the opening continued....
...we had to take some breaks in the day to play with new toys...
...and then Santa sent a message...about one last gift down in the basement...and their is a video of their faces when seeing the new bounce house...but the pictures tell the story...
...everyone took their turn in it...
...some a bit more successful than others...
...and the bounce house fan has been blowing strong every day since Christmas and making for some good sweats and rests...
...and then we settled in for another tradition that is newly created...Christmas Dinner in Christmas PJ's...and while I am not sure it will continue...it is a favorite of everyone involved...
...sort of like ham sandwiches at your leisure on Christmas night...
...and spending the afternoon and evening playing, snacking and letting go of all of the stress that builds up to this celebration the whole month...
...and just being close to the ones that you love...
...and the kids have been wearing their new clothes, playing with their new toys and soaking up the family time every day since...
...and while even Marley has enjoyed all the togetherness...I'm not sure she is sold on the Strawberry Minnie Mouse chapstick that she is getting daily...
...but she isn't running away from it either...
...and they are loving this cash register...learning to count, write receipts, although I just heard tonight, 'AAAAAva, that's not a receipt, that's just scribbling!', and loving to 'buy' toys from each other...lots of fun to be had around here right now...
...so as I contemplate gathering up all of the decorations, preparing for 2014 and closing the door on Christmas 2013....let's be real, I'm overwhelmed...but, I'm warmed by the memories created, fueled by the future and choosing to savor the last moments of family time together before they are gone in a flash...





































No comments:
Post a Comment