...Giving Thanks...
...As I pour through the pictures of what was yet again, another memorable, eventful holiday, I smile at the joy brought on by a whole houseful...growing up an only child made quiet holidays...and my Mother could relate, she is an only child too...as was her Mother...so our gatherings were small and intimate...so I longed for the bustle of lots of people and figuring out where and how to put everyone...and that is just what I got, starting with my first gathering with Kirk's family...and they haven't let me down since...
...so my motto in this house is everyone is welcome, at anytime...and I feel so lucky to have my children experience as much family as they can...especially since everyone on Kirk's side has to make quite an effort to get here...how I wish we all lived closer...
...and my kiddos are taking on my motto...in fact, Chase's first words upon our guests arrival are always...Mommy, Can I give them the tour?!?
...it doesn't matter if they have already been given the tour...and the next question, Mommy, can they sleep in my room? Ok, if not, how about the yewwo room?...which is the room right across from his room...
...and Grandma Dawn brought out lots of words from our little Princess, like her repeating of 'Happy Birthday to you' over and over...
...even Marley likes hosting..
...and what better way to start the long weekend...then a 65 degree boat day...
...and Chase, when you are reading this and you are older...I'm sorry you couldn't go with us but you needed a nap...and I know how upset you would be to miss a boat ride...so we didn't discuss where we were off to when Ms. Taylor came over...we focused on the fact that when you woke up, we would be home and going to Grandma and Papa's to make pies for the big day...
...but Grandma and Papa have wised up to our ways...and they decided that 3 year old and 1 year old helpers weren't what they needed...so the pies were baked and the soup was on...
...and getting to eat in Grandma and Papa's dining room is a big deal..especially if you get to sit on the big chair like Chase...but the dinner table wasn't a spot for lingering...except for these two who were likely sharing opinions on politics or golf here...
...and this one was ready to play in the basement...she was full and happy and letting out some of the biggest belly laughs we have ever heard out of her...
...and then it was time to head home and rest up for the big day...because the smoked turkey goes on early..
...and someone is getting more and more helpful in his own age...
...Daddy has lots of helpers...no wonder the turkey is so delicious...
...and inside I was getting lots of help making napkin ring holders...I am less than crafty and the thought of paint and scissors mildly terrifies me, but I know that the kids love it...so when I read about this idea to take old toilet paper cardboards and paint them for napkin rings...I thought I would give it a try...I figured lots of family in the house could help...or at least keep me from hurting anyone if the idea failed royally...
...and they surprised me...they did GREAT...don't get me wrong, I won't be sending out lots of hand painted Christmas items...but these did turn out better than I expected...
...and let's hope non-toxic means they can literally enjoy purple as breakfast...
...the finished product...

...I think everyone was appetized by the fact that their napkin was held together by an old toilet paper ring...but hey, nothing is permanently painted, so Chase was very proud, as was I...
...and as everyone was lending a hand...these two were getting out some morning energy...
..and this kind of closeness usually doesn't end with these kind of smiles, thanks Grandma Dawn for capturing...
...and then it was time for the meal...and the turkey's were done...
...and the crew was assembled...and can someone please tell me what Chase did right before this pic?!..
...and our littlest guest in her high chair meant that we had just the right amount of chairs...
...and what a feast it was...
...with temperatures higher than normal, can you see a theme this year, we got outside to cool down after the meal...
...and nothing heats you back up like a game of pit...
...Chase says, Mommy, this game is SIWLLYY!...
...Have I mentioned how Blomgren's feel about traditions...it is rich in their blood...so this year was no different than any day after Thanksgiving in the last 7 years...Bird Bash Seven was a success....
...while the boys were 'catching bwrds', Grandma Dawn, Chase and Ava and I hit the train fest at the Botanical Garden...such a great time...

...and Friday night brings on the leftover gathering that is another tradition we started with Kirk's Aunt and Uncle about seven years ago also...it is a paper plate, wine, turkey, and company kind of celebration...and this year the clan included Natalie and Tony and their two boys and their two exchange students, Barrett and Amanda, Grandma and Papa and the rest of our houseful...it was perfect...
...and large family gatherings are like the few I remember on my Dad's side...where the kids were plentiful and it was a more-cookies-than-normal and a stay-up-late kind of night...and this one was just that...

...and everyone under three feet tall was all smiles...
...amazing to think these two are only eight months apart...but their humor is very similar...although baby Yance was ready to play football with the older boys...I'm sure his Daddy has nothing to do with that...(I guess the exchange students don't share the love of football...ha ha...)
...and this one doesn't like football either...
...like I said, everyone was having fun...
...and with only a few days left in our time together...we took full advantage of the weather and the boys got their 'remote control airplane' fixes that will provide stories and one particular video that will bring us to belly laughs time after time...
...and fitting 10 lbs into a 5 lb bag is another of those Blomgren family things...and in 5 days, we did just that...from boat rides, to feasts, airplane rides and lots of kiddo time...to a final stop at the chop chop restaurant...
...and then we spent the next 5 days explaining where California and Florida are and why we can't have everyone just stay forever at our house...even though Chase told me...we have plenty of beds, Mommy!...
...Hope your Thanksgiving was full of fun and family too...Thank you Uncle Chad, Grandma Dawn and Pops for making the trip and Grandma and Papa for all you do...we love you all...










































No comments:
Post a Comment